We are done with our Alphabet Theme! Whew! Time flies when you are having fun in Kindergarten. If you have been following along with my blog posts, you will know that we had a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom theme this year as we learned our alphabet. Then this week as we wrapped up our unit we made these “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Trees”. I had seen a DIY video on making your own “calming bottles” but then I thought… why not try it into a coconut tree and add letters.
Let me tell you, I was worried about this project! Baby oil and a hot glue gun!?! What was I thinking?!? But, it turned out to be so fun, the level of engagement was super high and my kiddos did a great job listening. It’s was probably my favorite activity so far this year.
Here are step by step directions…
- Sort letters A-Z and put one set of alphabet letters into a baggie for each child. (I was planning on having the kiddos sort their own letters the day before but we ran out of time.)
- Give each child a container and have them take the lid off.
- Give each child a baggie of letters. Have them say the alphabet and find each letter they need as they put the letters in the container.
- Fill the container about 2/3 full with water.
- Fill the rest of the container with baby oil (pretty close to the top).
- Sprinkle glitter in the liquid mixture for a nice sparkle. I used 3 shades of brown glitter for the “truck” of the tree. My teammate used different colors and both ways were super cute.
- Hot glue the lid on. (this step was done by an adult)
- Cut out 3 palm leaves.
- Hot glue palm leaves on the lid. (also done by an adult)
- Shake your “boom boom tree” and find the letters A-Z!
Here is a little video of how it comes together for those of you who like to see it in action!
This was such a fun activity and my students were so excited to take their “boom boom trees” home to practice their letters and sounds!